Shooting and chase through town lead to conspiracy charges

Conspiracy charges are often associated with large-scale criminal activities such as those involving drugs, prostitution, and weapons. In some cases, a person can be charged with conspiracy simply by engaging or participating in a plot to commit a crime even though the person does not personally commit the crime. To avoid the often harsh penalties that come with a conviction involving conspiracy charges, an accused person stands a better chance of withstanding prosecution by a mounting a conspiracy defense.

Recently, two men were charged with conspiracy to commit a murder in Polk County, and one of the men was arrested after a shooting incident in Falls City, 60 miles southwest of Portland. Polk County Sheriff's deputies and Oregon State Police are still searching for the second man. Police say the 35-year-old man who was arrested and the man still wanted threatened a third man with semiautomatic pistols and then fired numerous shots into a residence before someone returned fire and then chased the two suspects into Fall City. No one was hurt in the incident. The arrested man was charged with reckless endangering, being a felon in possession of a firearm, unlawful use of a weapon, conspiracy to commit murder and attempted murder.

The accused first needs to determine the nature of the charges and the consequences that come with conviction on each charge. After that, the defendant can decide which path to take in proceeding with the case.

Conspiracy charges can be addressed in different ways. First, a defendant can try to negotiate with prosecutors for lesser charges or enter a plea bargain in exchange for reduced charges. This is highly advisable if conviction is probable. Second, the defendant can fight the charges in court with the help of a qualified legal professional.


Accused of a Crime? Let Us Help.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Turn to Our Firm