Army Reserve officer sentenced for felony crime in Oregon

The 28-year career of a U.S. Army Reserve officer came to an abrupt end in Oregon recently when he was convicted of misprision of a felony. He allegedly failed to inform the proper military authorities that he was still receiving active-duty pay despite his reserve status. Misprision of a felony is a crime resulting from concealing or failing to report a felony crime. Unfortunately for the officer, felonies like these often come with serious penalties.

The 51-year-old former lieutenant colonel began receiving the $10,000 a month pay in 2004 when he was on active duty. In 2007, he returned to reserve duty. However, he allegedly failed to notify his command that he was still receiving the excessive pay. The military finally caught the error in 2012. The officer had received a total of $442,000 in unearned pay.

During his sentencing, the officer admitted to the accusations. His counsel pointed out his exemplary record, his work with the local community as a volunteer and his responsibilities as a husband and father. He was sentenced to a 6-month term in a halfway house with five years of probation. He will seek work to pay off the money he did not return.

A felony is considerably more serious in nature than a misdemeanor. Punishment under both federal and Oregon law is more severe. This crime can rise to the level of a felony under certain circumstances like these. Other violent crimes like attempted murder, robbery and assault can carry severe penalties that require a strong defense.

Like the general population, military personnel, including officers, are not exempt when it comes to being penalized for felonies. Despite its traditions and desire to develop outstanding leaders, the military has had officers who have committed crimes against their own better judgment and with full knowledge of their actions. Those who are accused of serious felonies can always consult with a local legal professional for advice.


Accused of a Crime? Let Us Help.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Turn to Our Firm